St. Blaise High School is a co-ed Catholic Minority educational institution founded around 1879 and managed by the Diocesan Clergy of St. Blaise Church, Amboli. The school aims at giving an all round education primarily to the Catholic community for whose education the institution was established.
The school falls within the religious jurisdiction of the Catholic Archdiocese of Bombay and is a member of the Archdiocesan Board of Education.
The Secondary school is recognized by the Government of Maharashtra and Primary by the Corporation of Greater Mumbai. It comprises of ten standards and in the tenth standard it prepares pupils for the Secondary School Certificate Examination of the Mumbai Board Education.
It also prepares children for the Government Drawing Examinations. Hindi and Marathi Public Examination.
History of St. Blaise High School
The origin of St. Blaise’s School is shrouded in the mists of history. Although the church of St. Blaise traces its foundation to the time of the arrival of the Franciscan missionaries in Bombay in the XVI century, the school, according to various documents of the past, goes back no further than the second half of the XIX century. The Catholic Directory of Bombay archdiocese states that St. Blaise’s school was probably founded in 1870.
Various other documents like the Thana Gazetter and the Examiner refer to a school in Amboli in 1887. All things considered, it seems reasonable to conclude that St. Blaise School saw the light of day most probably in 1879.
Its founder according to evidence available was Fr. Erasmo Francisco Xavier who was the parish priest of St. Blaise Church (1874 – 1881)
The school is mentioned again in documents of 1943. In those years it was housed in a rented private bungalow in Kevni Village. In 1950 the school moved a new bldg at its present location. The new bldg was blessed by late Cardinal Valerian Gracias.
The first principal of the high school was late Fr. A.Pascal D’Souza. He was succeeded by late Bishop Winnibald Menezes and thereafter by late Fr. Santan F. Dharmai who was at the helm of affairs from 1957 – 1974.
In conclusion, we may state that St. Blaise High School is today a well established educational institution, which has made its mark in the academic sphere over the years since its inception. True to its motto, it strives to inculcate in its students a love for Goodness, Discipline and Knowledge- Characteristics which can surely make of today’s student population worthy citizens of our country tomorrow. However, yet more remains to be done and no school can be content to rest on its laurels. With the progress of education and civilization, fresh needs and demands calls for greater efforts and initiatives if the school is to lead its pupils with confidence into the challenging future that awaits them.